Sunday, May 18, 2014

I'm grateful for the Tender Mercies of the Lord.

Dear Family! 

It was BRILLIANT to talk with you! (I felt that word was extra appropriate ;))  Thanks to everyone for being there and making it such a wonderful experience! I love you all!!! I'm grateful for Heavenly Father prompting me to find the hangout app so I could talk with all of you. I would have been so sad if it hadn't all worked out. But it did. What a blessing from God!!! 

This week was great! Especially because I got to see all of you! Also, because we met so many wonderful people! We're still trying to find those who are really committed and ready to progress. I know they will come (probably right before I leave, but they will come nonetheless :)).  We had a self referral from mormon.org. Her name is Rose. She is AMAZING. After our lesson, Sister Wen and I were literally jumping up and down and having a party. First of all, she is so normal: has a job, lives close to the church, didn't feel the need to pour all her life's problems on us (I've noticed that some people just don't really have anyone to talk with so once we try and teach them, because we love them and listen they like to tell us EVERYTHING that is happening in their life and tell us all their problems and issues. I'm grateful they recognize they can trust us, but I wish they would let us just teach them the gospel so they can get what will really help them. Anyway, sorry for that tangent. Rose is not like those people just described. She has a sincere desire to find peace. She asks so many great questions and then she really listens to what we are saying. She's pretty busy so it will be difficult to meet with her often, but I know if she will sincerely read and pray she'll want to make the time to learn more from us. She can tell that we are really converted to what we teach and she wants that. I know what we have is what she is looking for. We just need to help her see that and feel that! I can't wait for her to come to church on Sunday!
Then after skyping on Saturday we were heading home and started talking to this adorable African family, A mum and three beautiful daughters (7,5, and1). They were asking lots of questions and then I just started talking with the girls and Sister Wen was teaching the mum and answering her questions. I mostly was talking with the 7 yr old. She is so great! She has so much faith in God and Jesus Christ. She asked all the right questions and is really curious and desirous to learn more. She asked lots and lots about the Book of Mormon. When I finished explaining, it was like a lightbulb went on and she said, "Oh I get it. So the Book of Mormon is just another thing that will help us get closer to Jesus; I'm still learning how to get close to Jesus." My heart was filled with so much joy. Even a child can understand the truths of gospel because they are that simple. She understands what so many people don't; that we all just need to continue learning how to get close to Jesus and that our loving Heavenly Father will give us all that he can to help us to do that! And she shared so much more about how she is helping her friends and school to think about if God is there and be a good example. She was absolutely delighted when I told her that she could keep the copy of the Book of Mormon that she was holding. I hope we all can be that delighted to have this sacred record. I learned so much from this sweet little girl. Then when we got off the bus, Sister Wen told me about her conversation with the mum. She has a good friend who use to live in Ilford that went to our church, but she moved to Manchester. The friend told this mum that she needed to go to this church, but when the mum tried to find it she couldn't. The mum said she has only heard great things about the church and she set up an appointment for us to come and teach her family!! I can't wait! And I think it shows that no effort on a members part is wasted. That member helped us to find this family and be able to teach them. I don't think the mum would have been as eager to have us around if she hadn't already heard all these great things and been invited to come. 
I just finished reading "Our search for Happiness" by M. Russell Ballard (it's part of the missionary library). I really loved it! I especially loved a part I read today. "You can NEVER do more for the Lord than He can do for you." I'm grateful that in all things the Lord looks to bless us more and more. I am so grateful for this time that I can come to know Him better and become more like Him. Yesterday in sacrament meeting the talks were on Christlike attributes. Members of the stake came and spoke and both talks were brilliant! I learned so much. One shared about the story when someone goes to heaven and they ask what do you know about Jesus Christ? and he keeps giving factual answers and they ask a few more times. Then the next person goes in and when they ask him he falls down and says, " My Lord and Saviour." Then the speaker asked Do we know OF the Saviour or do we KNOW the Saviour? I pray that I can truly come to know Him as I become more and more like Him. I know He is my Saviour and that with His help one day we can all be perfect. 
We also had a great RS lesson on the Book of Mormon. The bishop's daughter, who is also a ward missionary, gave a wonderful lesson (we're hoping to get her on a mission ;) She's 22 and so great!). I learned so much and my testimony grew more and more. The spirit was there so strong and so many sisters bore powerful testimonies of the Book of Mormon and the restored gospel. Something I loved: "There is never a substitute for the workings of the spirit." People may ask for proof and want to see how the Book of Mormon is true. But all of that will not help them to know that it is true. That can only come from the Holy Spirit. That is the only way that true conversion can happen. 
I love you all! Have a great week!!! 
Love, 
Sister Davis xoxo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment