Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas is coming, Sister Davis is getting fat. Please put a penny in the old man's hat

FAMILY!!!
9 days! Wahoo!! 
You were suppose to let me know when a good time to skype would be since I don't remember what the time difference is, but since you didn't, I am planning to skype about 4pm my time on Christmas day. This should be sometime in the morning for you. IF THAT DOESN:T WORK PLEASE EMAIL AND LET ME KNOW ASAP! I plan to do like last time and just log onto dad's skype account if that is ok. Also, originally President Jordan had told us that we would have an hour and a half to skype...but when Elder Dykes came we were informed that we are strictly following the white handbook. So I'll only get to skype for 30-40 minutes, so PLEASE make sure that everyone is awake and ready when I skype. PLEASE, PLEASE!!! I can't wait!!!
Also, since next week is Christmas, we aren't having p-day on Monday, it will be boxing day(the day after Christmas). so you won't hear from me until we're skyping, but I will check my email when I come on Friday to do progress record so you must let me know if anything with skyping needs to change! Thankfully yesterday we had a family invite us for Christmas. We were starting to get worried that no one would have us. The Elders had gotten an invite weeks ago and the Ward Mission Leader had said if we didn't get invited anywhere we could go with him and his wife, but they have been really sick for the last two weeks and so we didn't think they'd be up for having us anyway. An awesome family, the Stevenson's, are having though. Should be lots of fun! And I really cannot wait to skype with all of you. 

No one here says Happy Holidays. I haven't even seen a sign with that on it. It's Merry Christmas  and Happy Christmas for everyone here. Well, everyone here that celebrates... remember that Ilford is filled with Muslims... and with quite a few Jehovah witnesses. So lots of people that don't celebrate Christmas. Everyone else is really into. I don't know that they necessarily are focused on the true meaning of it, but atleast they are much happier. Some people do use Xmas though:(. Our bishop talked in sacrament meeting yesterday and he shared that at work they were having a Christmas party and they put up some signs about it saying "xmas party". He said he was so upset and offended about it; he went to his managers and had a talk with them about it (keep in mind he is a big Nigerian man and very passionate about God). They just tried to shrug it off, but he said the next day that he went to work that had taken down all the old signs and put up new ones that said "Christmas party". How sad it is that Satan has skewed people's views to want to get rid of the true meaning of Christmas, but what a great opportunity for each of us to share our testimonies and let others remember Christ through our light and example. 

This week has been really great and we have seen so many miracles. Hassan is progressing well. He is meeting with President Jordan this week so we'll know more about when he can get baptized after that. I really admire his faith and his humility. 
The Conference with Elder Dykes was WONDERFUL!!! I loved it so much. I wish I had brought my notes with me to share specifics. And Canterbury zone was there (it wasn't the whole mission meeting together... they had a few days of conferences, but we got to have ours with Canterbury Zone.. which was my last zone) so I got to see Sister Larson and hear all about Gillingham. It made me miss it so much!!! But I'm happy to know that she is there and taking good care of it. Elliot got baptized!!!!! And our investigator, Kevin, is still progressing and they said every time they teach him he asks about me. it's always nice to know that I made an impact on the people there. They really are all so amazing and have such a special place in my heart. 
I got to surprise teach gospel principles yesterday. Our Assistant WML was suppose to teach it sense our WML was sick, but right before he texted us to say that his wife was sick and they weren't coming to church. I think for it being so last minute it turned out ok. I also got to put my talent to use at a baptism at Romford this week by playing the piano for them. I am really glad I could because it was such a sweet service. I love the spirit that is at baptisms and to see the joy that the individual being baptised has. They just glow. And he bore such a sweet testimony afterwards. 

We are really trying to build the trust of the ward. I can understand some of the reasons they don't have as much trust in the missionaries from what I've heard other missionaries have been like in the past, which just makes me so sad. And it makes the work for us so much harder, but we have already seen so much success. Since our ward mission leader has been really sick, I thought that maybe I should just go through the ward list and send the progress record to everyone in ward council that had an email on the ward list (our ward mission leader has never given us their emails, but told us that he would forward them the progress records. Since he was sick I wasn't sure he'd be able to forward them so I thought I'd better send it to those that I could). Well, the next day we went to a ward function and the bishop came up to us just absolutely thrilled and just thanked us so much for sending the progress record. He said it was the first one that he has received in MONTHS. What?! We thought that he had been getting them this whole time, but it was lovely to see how grateful he was for it and how he immediately let us know when he is available to come teach with us. It's amazing the little things that can make such a huge difference. Hopefully we can just continue to build up the ward, both in bringing people into the ward and also in strengthening those they already have. 
Which brings a really cool miracle we had when we were less-active finding this week. We had planned to try and visit a certain less-active. When we got to the street that we thought was her street, we realized the street name was just slightly different than what we had on the ward list. Well, I figured the Lord knew we were going to that street and maybe he had prepared someone else for us. So we knocked on the door of where the less active would have been if it was the right street. Nothing. No answer. But the neighbor next door was outside and started talking with us. We had a great conversation with him and then he said "My neighbor across the street is a mormon." We asked who it was. Turns out it was another less active that we were going to try and see later in the week. But the address we had for t hem on the ward list was not on the street we were on. We never would have been able to find them otherwise. It was really amazing. Yesterday we were able to go see this family and had a wonderful lesson with them. Hopefully that all made sense, but it was just a really cool experience to see how the Lord has His hands in this work and is guiding us. And we've seen so many instances of that this week where we've been just where we needed to be and found wonderfully prepared people. This truly is the Lord's work. I know this church is true. I am so grateful for my Savior and for the time that we have to celebrate his birth!
I love you all!!! See you soon!
Love, 
Sister Davis 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment