Sunday, April 6, 2014

It's Facebook Official: I'm almost been out a year!!

Family, 

Mom, Happy Mums Day! I thought about you all day yesterday. I hope you felt especially loved and appreciated. way to go on challenging Jimmy and Kristi to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. It's the best. I had a great opportunity yesterday in combined RS/Priesthood to talk about the book of Mormon for a few minutes. In preparing I read a talk by President Benson about the importance of the book called a new witness for Christ. I highly recommend it. So many good points. Especially about how we need daily spiritual nourishment from the Book of Mormon.
Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated, “Men can get nearer to the Lord, can have more of the spirit of  
conversion and conformity in their hearts, can have stronger testimonies, and can gain better  
understanding of the doctrines of salvation through the Book of Mormon than they can through  
the Bible.… There will be more people saved in the kingdom of God—ten thousand times over—
because of the Book of Mormon than there will be because of the Bible.” (Address at Book of  
Mormon Symposium, Brigham Young University, 18 Aug 1978).  
I am drooling thinking of your strawberry freezer jam. Save some for me?Still no word from Hassan. :( I will get to watch most of general conference. I think all except for the last session on Sunday. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!! I LOVE conference!! 

where is the time going? I can't believe it will be a year on Friday!!! It should be a fun day though. Two of the Elders in our ward are from my MTC group, so all of us Ilford Missionaries are going to celebrate together. We're going out to eat at a yummy chicken restaurant, Nando's. I'm looking forward to it. And I'm sure Sister Pagofie and I will come up with other great ways to celebrate!
BIG NEWS..... Our mission is the first mission outside of the 38 pilot missions in the US to start facebook proselyting. Weird but exciting! So Linda I don't know if you have been logging into mine at all but please no one log into my account anymore because I will be deactivating my home account and making a mission account. Also I'm not allowed to be friends with anyone back home so no one try and friend me here. It will provide great opportunities for missionary work though and is a great trust from our leaders and the Lord. Hopefully it will really help to hasten the work, especially in helping members in their missionary work. It will be exciting to see the changes that come in the work. However it will be very different to try and schedule in time to use it. We found out we could use in on Thursday and we still haven't had time to set up our accounts (well, just me because Sister Pagofie already had one since they use facebook in the Visitors Centre) or use it at all. Tomorrow we will though. 
The work has been good, but we are continually trying to work to help the members get more excited and involved in missionary work. Any ideas? 
We have seen some great success however in contacting AUF- which is Address Unknown File or Lost Sheep. It is people who were baptised but moved and the church found an address that they think that person lives at. It's our responsibility to go to that addresss and confirm whether or not that person does live there and see if they are interested. Then if we have time we are to knock 20 houses around the person and note how many people are interested around the AUF. We have found quite a few new investigators from it this week. One was this sweet woman from Ghana whose husband is actually a pastor. We knocked on her door and after a brief introduction she let us into her home. She said she was happy to hear anything that dealt with the word of God. We were able to teach her the restoration. She was so intrigued about the Book of Mormon and couldn't wait to read it. As we taught she asked, "So what you are saying is that all the other churches are not the truth?" we explained about the fulness of the gospel and about the great apostasy more and she was just so sincere and wondered why she had never heard about this message or the book of Mormon before. she said "Why have I not heard this before when all my life I've been searching for the truth?" It was so sad to see her sincerity of wanting the truth and not being able to understand why she hadn't heard our message sooner. I really pray that the spirit touches her and she reads and prays and that she can know that this is the truth she has always been searching for. I am unsure as to why she hasn't heard this message before, especially because the church is so well known in Ghana, but "I know that [God] loveth his children" (1 Nephi 11:17). I know he knows us perfectly. He gives us the experiences that we need to shape us into who he needs us to become. And I know that he loves all of us enough to give us the chance to choose. I'm so grateful to know this gospel and to be able to choose to follow Jesus Christ. 
I love you!
Love, Sister Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment