Sunday, March 16, 2014

Adventures in Ilford

Dear Family, 

I cannot believe at all that it's already 11 months. I really don't know where this time is going. And this transfer is flying by too. two weeks is moves. 
We had an interesting experience with fasting. We planned out that we would start our fast after a lunch appointment with a member on Saturday and then it would work out perfect to end our fast at a lunch appointment with a member after church. Well, then we had a lesson with another member. We were just planning on going by and sharing a short message (it's part of what we're doing to help our members feel the spirit of missionary work and build relationships with the members). When we got there, she had prepared dinner for us too. oops. And we had already started our fast. So we had to end it and start it again. Atleast the Lord knows we had righteous intentions of having a full fast. I'm also happy our family is powering it up in testimony meetings. I wanted to get up and bear my testimony in our meeting, but it was so busy! I was so grateful that so many members had been impressed by the spirit. And it was really touching that three members talked specifically about missionary work, with a shout out to the sister missionaries! It was so great to see some of the fruits of our efforts to work with the members. 

Last p-day we had a great miracle. We went to a little alterations shop because the strap on my bag was breaking and I needed to get it fixed. When we walked in, we realized the man that we had seen the man who owned the shop at the post office earlier. He was really interested in what we were doing here and the message that we share. We told him about the Book of Mormon and he was very eager to get a copy. We set a return appointment. Then when I went to pay for the fixing job he said that he didn't want me to pay, he just wanted us to say a prayer for him. Wow! Then we had a great lesson with him and he agreed to be baptised! Sadly, he was poorly on Sunday and couldn't come to church, but he seems very sincere. 
We had a really great lesson with Anais (an 11 year old English girl who loves Christ-she was a referral from a LA) and her mum stayed for the lesson the whole time!! Miracle! The spirit was there so strong. Then she finally came to church on Sunday. We've been trying to get her there forever, but she came and she loved it!
Frankin, I don't even know what to say about him. Lately he's been digressing more than progressing. And then the other day he said he wasn't going to come to church because he is giving it up for Lent?!!!! Strange. We will probably drop him, but atleast we have helped him learn, and now he knows the tools that he has in his hands to find the truth once he is ready to accept it. I've atleast learned a lot in teaching him.  
Funny and crazy story. The other day, Sister P had the phone and we were on the bus (on the top deck). We got off at our stop and then Sister P said she didn't have the phone; she had left in on the bus. I had been feeling pretty tired that day, but somewhere I got some energy and we just started sprinting to the next bus stop. Well, of course we got there just as the bus pulled away. the same thing happened at the next stop. We were not going to let that happen again and we finally caught up to it at the next stop. When we got on we were panting so much; I wonder what the driver was thinking. And then we had to go up the stairs to the top deck. We asked the man that was now sitting where Sister P had been if he saw a phone (through our gasping for breath). He didn't. Then Sister P realized that it was in her bag. oh my. haha. Atleast we got some good exercise! For another bus story: we were having an exchange with a STL (sister training leader). She came to work with us both. The STL and I got off the bus but Sister P was walking toward the exit when the doors closed and the bus started to pull away. Thankfully, the bus driver was really nice and stopped so Sister P could get off. I still have yet to get separated from a companion and I hope that I never do!  
This week has been much more fruitful than last; we think it's because we are really focusing more efforts on the members. And the Lord is blessing us for it!
I'm grateful for the restored gospel. I'm especially grateful that we have the power and authority of God on the Earth. I know its power is real! 
I love you!!!
Love, 
Sister Davis xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment