Tuesday, April 23, 2013

First Few Days in the Field





Hiya Family!
It is so great to hear from you!
Good news- I can now email for 1 1/2 hours! Yay! I can email pretty much anyone (so you can give Austin my email and tell him good luck! He will love the mission) but I would caution to not give everyone my email because I do want to keep you all my priority obviously. So I guess if they want to email they can but I won't guarantee an immediate email back if I have a longer letter to write to you guys or to President Jordan. Also, for your info P-days are Monday. I wish the time difference wasn't so much so that I could be writing you when you were awake but most weeks it will likely be around this time or earlier. So maybe Dad will atleast get them when he's not sleeping ;)
Also if you are interested, a Sister in the ward gave me Sis Jordan's blog- englandlondonmission-jordan.blogspot.co.uk I wish I could've found that before I left but it's ok :) Also this Sister said there is a group on LDS Missionary Moms for UK South group that other missionaries' moms are on and sister Jordan is on that... as well as this Sister from the ward- Sister Gibbons.
Tell McKell I do have their address on that list and I will try to write to her today (soon for sure). You could also give her my email but tell her I might end up handwriting a response depending on time.
Ok, so let me tell you about how my first few days have been- AMAZING! As you know I am in Northampton with Sister Karyan. She is a new trainer and was only in this area for four weeks. Three of those weeks was with a sick companion so she doesn't know the area super well and there are not tons of people set up to teach. That's ok though because we've been able to get some great finding and are meeting with the members and less actives. And already I'm learning the area pretty fast. We ride the bus everywhere and do lots of walking, but I love it because it gives so many opportunities to talk to people. Also, we live really close to Town Centre. It's basically like an outlet mall with tons of shops and lots of people. IT's perfect for street contacting. There is also a library there and that's where we meet lots of people to teach. It's a little weird praying and teaching in a public place like that, but the good thing is that the Spirit is in our message and can be ANYWHERE that we share it. My first real day we went finding and ran into a man named Chris who at first wasn't interested but I told him we just want to share what we know and invite him to come to know for himself. He said ok and we've met with him once. He didn't have tons of time so we just talked about the Book of Mormon and invited him to read and pray. He said that next Sunday he will come to church because he has been to another church once before and liked the feeling. We had an appt with him this morning but he didn't show. I think he just forgot and we couldn't get ahold of him. I really hope that we can share more with him. Funny story: another Sister we are teaching, Kelly, is on her way to baptism. She has the testimony we just need to help her to quit smoking. But we were talking about Law of Chastity and following up about how she was doing with keeping that. She said she had accidentally kissed this boy. We then had to clarify a little bit what the law of chastity is an that a little kiss can be ok. IT reminded me of an episode of the District with some miscommunication about LOC. We are getting lots of dinner appt set up with members. Our first one was with the Gibbons and the food was great! Not bland at all. The dessert was similar to crockpot cake, but not in a crockpot. It was a nice reminder of home. We then were able to teach an investigator in their home. It was amazing!! The church is doing amazing things here in London. You should look up the new advertising the church just lanched here. So great! The Lord is preparing people. And we had a great sacrament meeting yesterday about missionary work and about the members' part in that. I gave my first talk and I think it went well. I spoke and my comp and the two Elders in our ward, Elder Ward (DL) and Elder Toth (from Romania!). There is also a recent convert from Romania, Robert :) Also, I thought you might like to know that my comp and I sang a christmas song for comp study yesterday. it was great! My comp is wonderful. It is a little hard since she is still learning English, but overall her English is great! I know that the Lord put me with her for a reason and so I can help her with her English while she helps me learn how to be a great missionary! Also thanks so much for the letters you wrote in that book you sent me with. It has been a great source of strength and comfort. I know that the Lord is helping to shape me into the missionary that he needs me to be. His work is moving forward and he is preparing people to be taught and baptized and I will do everything to find those people so I can be an instrument in his work! THis gospel is so true and brings so much happiness! Even when people slam the door in our face, I still can't help but smile knowing that this is God's work and that I know his plan for me. I know that Joseph Smith was chosen by God to be a prophet and that the Lord prepared the way for the church to be restored through him. I know the Book of Mormon is true and I'm so grateful for the power that comes from it. I love you all so much! I miss you, but I am so happy to be building the Kingdom of God here in northampton!
I will keep you all in my prayers!
Love, Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment