Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lions and Tigers and Bees.. oh My!

Dear Family,
You are the best. I'm pretty sure I tell you this every week, but every time I read your emails it just reminds me even more what a wonderful family I have been blessed with.
mom and claire, I actually have heard nothing about the royal baby. I guess maybe it's not as big of a thing here as it is in America, or maybe it's a bigger item near London. Or it could just be that as missionaries, we are very out of the news loop. All the time people will talk to us about major events, like killings or political things, and we just give them blank stares and then it leads to interesting conversations about mission rules. Once in Northampton this happens and the man said, "In my church we believe in being aware of the news and what's going on in the world" and then we had to clarify that the church doesn't ignore the news, but just us as missionaries do. But yeah, I had honestly forgot that Kate was having a baby. Maybe that's a good thing and means I am focusing on the work! Hopefully that's what it means!
I had an amazing workover this week! I don't know if you've heard of the new Sister Training leader position for sister missionaries. It's kind of like sister AP's. Well Sister STeele came and worked with me in Gillingham and Sister Greenfield went to central London with the other sister. Sister Steele and I had an amazing day full of miracles! We had a member lesson that I was really nervous for. It was my first one with this particular family (the dad is in the bishopric). and Sister Greenfield had told me that the last lesson they had with this family, they were talking about member missionary work and the Dad got up and said that he wasn't going to drag his friends to church and left the room. This made me really nervous for our lesson with them, especially because of course it was about how we can do missionary work by leaving breadcrumbs (1.pray, 2. have casual conversation (leave crumbs about the gospel), and 3. invite). Well, we shared a quote by Pres Uchtdorf and testified about it and the spirit was so strong. We had an amazing lesson with them and they really caught the vision of how their family can help spread the gospel in an undaunting way. And the dad was really into it and offerring different ideas and was getting excited about it!! It was amazing! And then he decided to say the closing prayer (I find when people have  a desire to pray that is always a great sign). What an amazing lesson! The Lord definitely softened the fathers heart; I am excited to see the fruits that come from this family's efforts. Then we had a lesson with a less-active. She is wonderful and has a strong testimony, but just hasn't quite made the necessary steps to come closer to Christ and make the changes she needs to in her life. She was in tears when we left because the spirit was there so strongly. It was amazing! I was just filled with so much love for her and could really feel the love Heavenly Father has for her!
Another miracle came when Sister Greenfield and I went to a potential appointment with this lady. She ended up not being in, but her 19 yr old daughter answered the door. As usual we started talking to her as if it was any other tracting situation. Normally, I think I would have just asked when her mom would be back and when we could come back, but I asked her if we could come in and share with her. She happily let us in and we had a wonderful lesson with her! We are going back to see her and her mom tomorrow! Hopefully good things will come from it! There home already looks like they are members (they will definitely be kingdom builders!). We didn't get to see Jess this week because she got sick from the heat since she is pregnant, but we have an appointment with her tomorrow.
We are focusing our efforts on families and are seeing the wonderful hand of the Lord in helping us find families that are prepared! And in the process, Heavenly Father also blesses us with other individuals that are ready to hear the gospel.
Thank you Mom and Dad for raising me in the gospel! How wonderful the truths of the gospel are!
On a side note, Sister Greenfield and I had lunch on a house boat yesterday! A member of our ward lives on a boat! It was pretty awesome. I however, could never live on a boat.
Also this week, as I was getting ready in the morning I hear this loud buzzing'; come to find out, there is a GIANT bee in our room. One window was open so we left it open and closed the bedroom door with the hopes that it would find its way out. When we came home that night, the buzzing was gone and we thought we had found ourselves bee-free. I'm brushing my teeth when Sister Greenfield comes running into the bathroom, screaming at the top of her lungs. We were not bee-free. We spent the next half hour or more trying to get this enormous (it really was the biggest bee I've ever seen) bee out of our bedroom so we could sleep peacefully. It was quite the adventure.
The weather is a bit too hot, but we manage.
What a great work I get to be a part of! I feel so blessed everyday to have this wonderful opportunity to serve the Lord!
I love you all so much!!
Love,
Sister Davis
 
"Don't be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. "Accentuate the positive." Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. LOVE LIFE." - President Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment