Monday, July 15, 2013

Decisions Determine Destiny

Dearest family,
This week has been an interesting one. We have really been focusing on our efforts on families. Well, the other day we got to the area where we had our next appointment and had a while to find. There was a man and his two kids outside. We started talking to him and got to talking about the restoration. We asked if we could come back and see his family and he just wouldn't agree and was coming up with different excuses. I could tell that what we were sharing with him was really having an impression on him though so it was frustrating and a little disheartening. Well, Sister Greenfield just quoted the first vision. We testified and then the man said that he would pray and if he felt God answering him that he would call us back. We haven't gotten a call back yet, but we are praying and hoping that we will. It  was just amazing to me to see that the spirit had really come as we quoted Joseph smith and testified and that it had slightly softened his heart. We also met this girl, Jess, who is expecting. (We are going to teach her for the first time tonight!). We were talking to her about the plan of salvation. Her uncle came up and seemed a little like he was telling us to go away. He was like she can't stand hear and talk to you because she's expecting. But then I could see something in him change and he started asking us if we had been saying something about the purpose of life and starting asking us all these questions. He then was really eager to meet with us as well when we set up the time with his niece. Hopefully all goes well tonight.
Of course, the miracles don't come without some crazy moments as well. We had this man, Dave (St. Mark)- I can't remember if I've told you about him before. He's VERY interesting, but at an appointment this week he finally agreed to be baptized and come to church!! Then he texted us later and asked us what he would have to give up to be baptized. We said we were going to teach him at the next lesson. So the next lesson we teach him about the word of wisdom. He was not happy. He started talking in this strange language (he claims to have the gift of tongues) and then starts slamming his fists on the table (we were in a cafe and I wonder what all the people around us were thinking). We tried to very lovingly help him to realize that the Lord would help him and that great blessings would come, but then he just started yelling and getting upset. I was torn between laughing about it or crying. Then he said even if God himself was sitting there telling him to give it up, he would not do it. That made me so sad and made me want to cry. And it showed to me how much God has offered to us in giving us agency. I just wish people could understand what they are giving up through the choices they make. In a lesson with Justin this week when we were talking about temples and the different degrees of glory. They member with us, Sister Rogers(she's amazing!), was talking about, just like you were saying in your letter Linda, that we have to work hard to get the celestial kingdom if we really want it, but that some people are happy to not receive more. They don't want to put in the work and are happy to rest and be lazy for all eternity, but others are willing to put in the work so they can press us and continue to work and learn and create in the next life. She also said how every decision we make points us towards a degree of glory. It really made me ponder. Is every choice I make pointing me towards the celestial kingdom? or do I sometimes make terrestial choices? I guess it goes back to the idea of good, better, best. I definitely want the best! And I hope that all I do shows Heavenly Father that I'm willing to work for it and be uncomfortable for it! 
We had the opportunity to go to a Church of England service at St.Mark's church last night. We have a couple potential investigators that had invited us and we thought that it would be beneficial to go and see how they worship so we could relate more. It was interesting. There were times you could feel the spirit, but sister greenfield and I left just thinking "if only these people could really understand that they could have so much more." They worship the best they know how, but I just wish I could really help them to see with eternal eyes all that Heavenly Father has prepared for them and is willing to offer them (there is a really good talk about this in this month's ensign.. or maybe June's. one of them. it's by Spencer W. Kimball). I really hope that I don't ever choose to live below my privileges!  How blessed we are to know all that God has prepared for us and all that we can acheive and have, now and in the eternities!
I love this quote in Elder Packer's "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple" book:
"Every foundation stone that is laid for a temple, and every temple completed according to the order the Lord has revealed for his holy Priesthood, lessens the power of Satan on the earth, and increases the power of God and Godliness, moves the heavens in mighty power in our behalf, invokes and calls down upon us the blessings of the Eternal Gods, and those who reside in their presence."
What a wonderful blessing the temple is! Enjoy a session for me this week please; I really miss even just getting to walk the grounds, but especially getting to enjoy of the wonderful spirit that is felt when you go to the temple. How lucky are we that we live just minutes away!
This work is a work of miracles. Yes, discouragement and disappointments come, but I know that the Lord is with me every step of the way and directing His work in His way.
I know I can still lose myself in the work more, but I know that the Lord will help me to become the missionary that I can be and that he needs me to be as I turn my heart over to Him.
Everyday I am so grateful for the testimony I do have; that I know who I am and whose I am and the possibilities of what I can be in the eternities.
I love you all and keep you in my prayers.
Cheerio,
Sister Davis
P.S. Sorry if this letter seems all over the place :)

This week Sister Greenfield and I decided to enjoy the warm weather... it has been boiling this past week! I think I must have brought some Vegas weather with me. Sometimes it's nice, but sometimes it makes tracting VERY long and hot and sticky.
But anyway we decided to enjoy the weather and have a picnic in the park with some yummy fish and chips. SO GOOD! yummm.
Love you! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment