Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Magical Land of London

Dear Family,
You are the best! I just love hearing from you every week.
Also, I think I've officially decided on the scripture for my placque: Alma 26:12 (and maybe if you wanted to include a couple lines from vs. 11 starting with "behold, my joy is full...")
 
This week was amazing! Sister Larson and I were on fire with our finding. We found some really good people, including a former investigator from my first transfer here. He was amazing, but then we just couldn't make contact with him. We saw him on the high street the other day and are starting to teach him again. He also introduced us to his friend. I don't know how interested his friend is, but he sure made for a crazy lesson and he's funny. He was trying to discuss (moreso argue) a point with us. We were just really confused and trying to get him to explain better. Finally he just said "I don't even know what I'm trying to say so I can't help you to understand what I'm trying to say." haha. Later after we had taught about our purpose and the Book of Mormon he said "well, your Jesus sounds spot on." Awesome. Even though he may be a bit crazy, atleast he can recognize truth. Truth will prevail.
We found out we get to keep teaching Elliot even though he lives in London South. We got permission from Pres. Jordan!!
I got to be Sister Larson's mom this week. She's been having trouble breathing and she finally gave in to the fact that she needed to go to the doctors. Her family doesn't go to the doctor for anything (hence why she's NEVER had an eye exam) and she really hasn't ever had a real dr's visit, just for her mission papers. So she was a bit nervous about it, but I held her hand through it and she survived. She came out with an inhaler and has been doing much better so we're guessing she has some mild asthma although the doctor said all the tests were fine.
In exciting news!!!! I got to go to London this week!!! Not just for a missionary meeting, but to actually do proselyting!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!! I loved it! We had a workover with the Sister Training Leaders. One came and worked in Gillingham with Sister Larson and I went to London to work with Sister Portillo, from Bolivia. So fun! And Linda, I got to teach a Peruvian!! There is this amazing family who Sister Portillo is teaching in Spanish. Sadly my spanish isn't good enough to teach any doctrine in spanish... I just taught simply in English, but I was able to talk a bit in spanish and I could understand almost everything they were saying in Spanish. It was so cool. I got to ride on a RED double decker bus! And I got to see big ben and the London eye... we ran there for exercise in the morning!
Also, speaking of Spanish speakers, we have this awesome friend, Leonardo from Ecuador, who plays pipes on the high street (Linda, like the pipes you brought back with you). It's funny because he doesn't really play any actual songs he just randomly makes sounds on his pipes with long pauses in between and then has a CD of a song playing the background.
 
So the news you've all been waiting for....
I am leaving the blessed land of Gillingham. I knew this day was coming, but it doesn't even seem real. It has been a wonderful 6 months here and I am so grateful for all the wonderful people I could meet and teach and help come closer to Christ. Sister Larson is staying here and getting a companion from Brazil, Sister Oliveira.  I am going to Illford (where every Sister missionary gets fat :( ). But I am so excited! Apparently there are lots of Africans there! I've talked to a lot of people who have served there and they love it so I am really looking forward to it. And although I will really miss Gillingham, I think I am ready for a change of scenery. I am grateful for teh many wonderful experience and growth I could have here, but I know it's time for something new and an opportunity for new growth and experiences. I am going to be companions with a sister from Albania! I can't remember her name, sorry. Should be fun! I'll be able to tell you more about her and Illford and the wonderful people there next week!!!
 
This work is amazing! I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know that my Heavenly Father is there and that he loves me and wants me to be happy; that is what He wants for ALL of his children! And I get to be a part of bringing that to them! What a blessing! The Book of Mormon is true! Everyone should read it and pray about it. It will change their lives! I know it has changed mine and continues to help me change to become more like my Savior everyday that I read from its pages.
 
I love you all!!!
Love, Sister Davis 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment